Where to go

This page contains information and guidance for householders on:

  • How to find an installer/contractor
  • What questions to ask
  • What to look for

How to find an installer / contractor

Finding a good reputable installer to carry out work in your home to a good standard and in compliance with Building Regulations can be daunting. We recommend that you look for members of professional or trade bodies to ensure that they are qualified and competent to undertake the work required.

The following is a select list of reputable organisations with links to their websites followed by links to Grants that may be available for some of the work.

Heating, Hot Water, Controls & Renewables

Heating Engineers/installers work with a variety of fuels such as mains gas, LPG, oil and solid fuel, each of the fuel specific organisations operate competent persons schemes for registered installers who are suitably qualified in the particular fuel and related activities. Renewable Energy such as solar thermal panels would normally be added to a specific fuel hot water system. If you require a solar panel you need to make sure that your selected installer is also suitably qualified for solar systems and unvented hot water cylinders.

The Institute of Domestic Heating & EnvironmentalIDHEE - The Institute of Domestic Heating & Environmental Engineer

The IDHEE has been the professional body for the domestic heating engineer since its formation in 1964. The objects of the Institute are to raise the standards of, and promote the installation of, energy efficient heating and hot water systems by professionally educated engineers. Heating engineers trained to IDHEE standards are ideally qualified to carry out Domestic Heating and hot water installations.

Corgi GasCORGI

CORGI is the national watchdog for gas safety in the United Kingdom. The goal is to help you find and use safe and competent trades people. Registration with CORGI is a legal requirement for anyone installing or repairing gas fittings or appliances.

CORGI keep a register of professionals who can carry out work safely and competently in your home. There are approximately 55,000 installing businesses registered with CORGI who work all over the UK. This means that it should be easy to find an installer near you.


Corgi Energy EfficencyCORGI members work on all areas of gas from central heating systems to swimming pool heaters. Our advanced find an installer search facility means that you can enter the type of work you want done and find the installers in your local area.

Consumers should look for the orange shield to check their installer is registered with CORGI to carry out gas work.

CORGI also recognises installers who are competent to install energy efficient appliances with the logo on the right.

If you are still in doubt or have further questions you can contact CORGI on 0800 915 0485.


The Oil Firing Technical AssociationOFTEC - The Oil Firing Technical Association

OFTEC, represent the oil heating and cooking industry throughout the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland. It is our mission to promote excellence in oil heating and cooking and householders can take a look at our consumer section for information on using oil for heating and cooking and locate an OFTEC Registered Technician using our online search facility.


HETASThe carbon neutral properties of wood fuels and sustainability of biomass makes these solid fuels important for the future of solid fuel heating and the drive towards low and zero carbon homes. Contact HETAS Registered installers for advice on solid fuels, appliances and systems. HETAS is the official body recognised by Government to Approve solid fuel (solid mineral, wood, wood based and biomass) domestic heating appliances, fuels and services including competent Installers. All registered installers have been assessed to ensure they can comply with Building Regulations and are inspected regularly.

HHIC - The Heating & Hotwater Industry Council

The Heating & Hotwater Industry CouncilThe Heating & Hotwater Industry Council is a member organisation committed to supporting and promoting the sustained growth of the UK domestic heating and hot water industry. Built on a well established and respected history, it provides a wide range of high quality services to its members and accurate and unbiased information to the wider industry, government, installers and consumers.

Insulation Of Walls And Roofs

Around a third of all the heat lost in an un-insulated home is lost through the walls. If you have cavity walls, insulating them will make a great difference, and it could save you around £90 a year on your fuel bills with even greater savings if the loft is insulated to the recommended level of 270mm.

The National Insulation AssociationThe National Insulation Association represents professional insulation installation companies in the UK.  All of our members work to the highest standards of customer service and have agreed to follow the Association’s Professional Code of Conduct.  All of our members who install Cavity Wall Insulation are also members of the Cavity Insulation Guarantee Agency which provides the general public with an independent 25 year guarantee.  If you are interested in gaining from the carbon and financial savings that installing insulation will bring then please go to our website and enter your post code for a list of professional contractors who work in your area.

Double Glazing

Network Veka - Quality Windows, Doors, Conservatories and RooflinesVEKA: Is it any wonder most people have trouble saying double glazing and trust in the same breath? Network VEKA is a powerful national body of around 140 independent window, door and conservatory companies. Member companies are vetted before they join, and commit to training and the provision of the unique Network VEKA ten year insurance backed guarantee on every installation.


Energy Saving TrustGrants

There are grants available for some energy efficiency measures, this link will take you to the Energy Saving Trust website where you can search for grants available in your area.

_information_packs/ energy_performance_certificates

Home Owners

Find a DEA in your local area or across the UK.

Rented Homes & New Builds

Rented Homes & New Build Properties will also require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

Green Mortgages & Green Energy Tariffs

A look at how Green Mortgages & Green Energy Tariffs can help you to help the environment.